Like many, I suppose, I have been keeping an eye on the story of Mukhtar Mai while quietly seething with rage.
It’s a agonisingly repulsive story, with many an attempted corruption of Justice, with the victim being hounded as if she was the perpetrator of the crime, which more-and-more seems like an attempt to cover up the sodomising of her brother more than any other purported reason.
It is with this in mind, then, that I read this story of another case with a dreadfully similar feel. From the article:
Human rights group say hundreds of women are raped or killed every year in so-called “honour” attacks.
Honour? Do these cretins actually know what honour means? And, just in case any of them ever read this, here is a clue: It is not abusing those weaker than yourself!
I wouldn’t have thought that such a difficult concept, but here’s dictionary.com’s definition:
- the state of being honored [syn: honor, laurels] [ant: dishonor]
- a tangible symbol signifying approval or distinction; “an award for bravery” [syn: award, accolade, honor, laurels]
- the quality of being honorable and having a good name; “a man of honor” [syn: honor] [ant: dishonor]
- a woman’s virtue or chastity [syn: honor, purity]
- bestow honor or rewards upon; “Today we honor our soldiers”; “The scout was rewarded for courageus action” [syn: honor, reward] [ant: dishonor]
- show respect towards; “honor your parents!” [syn: respect, honor, abide by, observe] [ant: disrespect]
- accept as pay; “we honor checks and drafts” [syn: honor] [ant: dishonor]
Nope, sorry. Didn’t see anything about gang-rapes in there… Quite the opposite in fact.
Telling proof that not all males are men…